April 6, 2015

Reading Diary A: King Arthur

"He likewise told the King many things that should befall him, and warned him always to keep the scabbard as well as the sword Excalibur, and foretold that both sword and scabbard should be stolen from him by a woman whom he most trusted." from The Passing of Merlin from the King Arthur unit.
King Arthur has been a longtime fave of mine. I read all of Arthurian legends in high school, and am happy to have this unit bring back some memories. Plus, there is a really good country song called "Guinevere" for you country music lovers out there. Of course I have to listen to it as I type this! (Listen to it Here) I had long forgotten about a lot of the specific people involved, like Sir Tor and the role that Merlin played and how he died.

The quote I included at the beginning is from when Merlin is about to leave Arthur forever in pursuit of some wicked maiden, and he tells Arthur about all of the bad things that will come of him. I thought this was interesting, and it brought to mind the phrase: "ignorance is bliss." And now I am thinking it actually might be true. I wouldn't want to hear about all of the evil that will befall me, especially if it was something like my crazy half sister coming to murder me in my sleep but stealing my magical scabbard and running away with it instead. I'm better off not knowing that!

Looking forward to the second half!

The magical sword, Excalibur.
Image Credit: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment