April 6, 2015

Reading Diary B: King Arthur

Ah, the quest for the grail! The entire second half of the King Arthur unit is entirely focused on the knights' search for the Holy Grail. The stories jumper from one knight to the other and back to the first. All of the stories are interwoven and by then end you half half of an idea about what happened to half of them. It is beautiful chaos!

Basically, by the end of these stories, I have come to realize that Sir Galahad is the greatest and that Monty Python's version of this is a bit off. I can't imagine what it would have been like to live in the stone ages where jousting and swords were a normal. I would much like to see a jousting tournament, that's for sure!

One thing that surprised me from this unit was how futile the search for the grail truly was. I thought there would be more of a purpose to going, but hundreds of noble knights lost their lives from searching after an object they saw once for a few minutes. Then, once obtained, what even is the prize? The pride coming with it... but then the knight who gets it is the one who is holiest and most humble? So pride wouldn't really be too great of a prize. We see all of this from the way Sir Galahad goes!

What a crazy story that truly is a classic!

A hodgepodge of quotes from the brilliant Monty Python version of King Arthur and the search for the Holy Grail.
Image Credit: Etsy

2 comments:

  1. Ah! I need to re-watch this so bad! Another version of the tales of King Arthur that you may want to look at is 'The Mists of Avalon' by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It tells the tale of King Arthur through the eyes of the women - very mystical and enthralling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job on your Reading Diary post for this week. I agree with you that this version of King Arthur and Monty Python's version of searching for the Holy Grail are quite different. I think I much prefer the Monty Python's version though because it is so freaking hilarious! I could watch their movies all day long.
    Another student did a storytelling on The Mists of Avalon" that was mentioned above. It was a very good read and so was the retelling of it. I love the picture that you chose too. It was very fitting for your story. Overall, good job and I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete