March 2, 2015

Writing Review Week: Write or Wrong.

Bringing fresh eyes to my work really gives me a different perspective about my writing style. One of my weaknesses in writing is dialogue. I don't feel like I know how to develop dialogue really well, or when I can skimp on the formal writing rules to make it flow more easily. One of my strengths is the voice I use in writing, keeping the diction fresh and enjoyable. I'm not perfect at this, but I try!

This has definitely challenged me in both the structure of my writing, such as grammar and writing development, as well as creativity. How do you read one story and completely rewrite it to completely change the story, yet still keep it the same? Coming up with an idea on how to rewrite a story from my reading is the hardest part for me. I like when ideas come quickly- such as the avocado story, but others do not come nearly as quick- such as the story about Ody.

I think the best thing for my writing is honestly just reading more. The more I read of original works and works of other the people, the bigger sample size I have, per say. With that, I can take ideas, formats, etc. from others' writing and make it my own!

My favorite picture so far, as I'm writing this at least, is the one of Santorini, Greece. I have a hunch that this has something to do with the fact that I just looked up $120 round-trip tickets to go from Athens to Santorini (which is a Grecian island) during my trip Summer 2015. For grins and giggles, I'll include a few more of Santorini, as I am hoping to instill intense FOMO (fear of missing out) in all who read this post!

Amoudi Bay

2 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean about some story ideas coming quicker than others! I’m having that issue with my project. My introduction came quick as lightening, my first story I had to take a week off to put together a good thought. Your pictures that you picked are absolutely gorgeous! It would be so awesome to get to travel abroad like that! Hopefully you get to go and have a stellar time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Avery! I have also found that I don't often use dialogue, but that when I do it often doesn't quite fit into my stories--it's a skill that I haven't really much mastered yet. And finding ways to change the story and yet maintain the same central plot can also be tricky at times, though the more I read and write the more I develop formats and styles that work--again, much like you. Love your images!

    ReplyDelete