March 2, 2015

Commenting Review Week:

The commenting portion of the course is probably the one with which I have had the most trouble! I think part of it is wanting to be sensitive to the people writing. They have spent time and effort creating a story, and I don't like trying to find a way to criticize, even if it is constructive! That being said, I do truly see the value in doing so. I like when I get comments back that tell me a way I can change my writing, even if it is something as small as fixing a quote or a comma.

The biggest problem I've found with this set-up is, and this is me being 100% honest and transparent, nobody goes back and fixes the suggestions if it isn't required, myself included. For the storybook, these suggestions are helpful, because it is an evolving piece that builds on itself. But for the storytelling posts, I never went back to fix them because I didn't really need to. I get that those comments were for practicing so we could give constructive feedback for the storybook, but I think it might be worth an extra credit assignment (maybe one point a week?) to go review the comments on the storytelling posts and fix the suggestions from the other students in the class. Maybe this is my way of putting a big scarlet "A" on my forehead because I am calling myself out at the slacker student, but I am trying to be helpful. I have no incentive to fix my writing if it isn't the storybook! Phew, that feels good to get off my chest.

What I do like about this, though, is that I feel praised for the work I do get done! In my other classes, for instance, the only acknowledgement I get from my work is a grade. I get no feedback from the professor or from other students. Here, I have people telling me "good job" and "well done" at least once a week! Even though those comments are required, they make a difference. I think it is important in life to feel like the things you invest your time into (for this class it is reading/writing) are valued and noticed! This idea reminds me of another Mother Teresa quote:
Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
I think this class allows me to feel like the things I do have a place- even if it is on a smaller scale.

As far as pictures go, I was at a loss on which ones to include, so I decided to scroll through my camera roll from the weekend and put the best ones on here!

Given the snow in Norman this past weekend, I walk outside at midnight on Saturday night to discover my best guy friends barricaded our front door with a truckload of fresh pow-pow. I couldn't stop laughing- pranks are my favorite!
Image Credit: Self-photographed February 28, 2015.
 I'm on a jeep kick. This is my dream car. Two-door white Jeep Wrangler with top off, wench on the front, and manual steering. The beach is optional, but I wouldn't complain.
(Image Creds: Pursuit of Preppiness)
 My best friend sent this to me on Friday. Please, Lord, let me be like this when I'm sixty. Preferably, like the fine-lookin' lady on the left.

3 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you on the commenting - I don't like giving criticism, even though sometimes it's super helpful, out of fear for the other person taking it the wrong way. And it's a little harder to do it through the computer because it's so much harder to read someone's tone through a screen. That being said, I also totally agree with you about the praise! It definitely makes you feel like your work is being appreciated each week. Also, your pictures are hilarious! What an awesome prank they were able to pull off! And that last pic...priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea about making it extra credit to go back and "fix" your storytelling posts once we receive comments on them. Like you, I have never gone back to edit them once I receive feedback. Giving a little incentive to do so would make it easier to do and we could get practice on editing our own writing. I find the commenting to be the hardest part of the course as well. I don't want to criticize someone's writing lots of times because I feel like my criticism is based off personal preference and not a specific error in the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your suggestion for extra credit on the edited storytelling post is a really good idea! It would help get in the extra practice and really work to sharpen writing skills and the utilization of the commenting. Also, I agree with what you said about it being nice to have people commenting on your work and feeling like you have a place for it.

    ReplyDelete