January 15, 2015

Storybook Favorites

The biggest query of the day:

How is someone who loves reading supposed to choose only three storybooks on which to focus? Is it just me or is my teacher trying to limit me? I think it's just me. I could probably pick 16 if I wanted to. Alas, it will just be three for now.

The first is The Gospels: Tales from our Dads. I was immediately drawn to this title because I have been intrigued by the correlations between mythology and religion. They both have the same goal and purpose, to explain the supernatural. Just drawing from my own beliefs, it is very cool to see stories that I have read several times told from such a unique perspective. I think this particular storybook does a great job of tying in a fresh view of something that most people have spent their efforts avoiding.

I also was intrigued by the title of the storybook Fantastically Tragic Deaths in Greek Mythology. Maybe I am obsessed with death and murder or maybe I just find the creativity and symbolism of mythology incredibly entertaining... I'll let you pick. This storybook is told from the perspective of a funeral director whose job it is to send people into their afterlife. It is a bit depressing to read, but I guess that is what you can expect from a funeral director.


The last one I looked into for the day was Greek Game Show. I thought this style was one way to have a storybook be told in an extremely out of the box manner. The author wrote it to where Hermes was the night's MC and hosted each of the famous contestants. This style gets me to thinking that I will be able to create a story in a way that isn't typical but still grabs the reader.

Hermes being the MC for the Greek Game Show.


No comments:

Post a Comment