April 13, 2015

Reading Diary A: La Fontaine Fable

This week it is the La Fontaine Fable unit that has a hodgepodge collection of the various fables from Aesop and others. They are organized based on the animals that are in the stories, and I really enjoyed a lot of them, but will highlight them here:

The Hen With The Golden Eggs

I haven't heard this little rhyme in years, and I think it is clever, funny, and I like the message behind it. Essentially, it is about a farmer that owns a hen that produces a gold egg every day. He was foolish and decided he wanted all of the wealth it offered at once, so he cut it open. Only, he didn't find any golden eggs, of course, and now was left with a dead hen. I think this is interesting because shouldn't a farmer know how chickens and eggs and all that mumbo jumbo works? I do love the idea behind it, which is counter to the American culture of 'get rich quick.' Hard work and patience ain't all that bad!

The Horse and the Wolf

This story is essentially about two wolves being curious about the creature of a horse, for they had never seen one! So one day they went up to the horse and asked him what sort of creature he was and for his name. The horse told them they could read about who he is on the bottom of his hoof. Eventually, one of the wolves came forward to read the bottom of the hoof and the horse smacked him, causing four teeth to be knocked out! The whole reason I liked this story was that it reminded me of this trick:

"Does this cupcake smell weird to you?"
*Person #2 leans over to smell cupcake*
*Person #1 smears it all over Person #2's face"

You end up looking like this guy.

1 comment:

  1. If you've ever cut open a chicken before (not many people have - I only have because I grew up on a farm), you'll see how the eggs are formed. The yolks are all connected together in a sort of cluster at various sizes depending on what stage of growth they're in. I bet this was the farmer's reasoning for cutting open the hen to get to more golden eggs at once. What he should have done instead was take a finance class to figure out how to better budget and invest his golden eggs.

    ReplyDelete