April 16, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: The Little Mermaid

I read The Little Mermaid from the Andersen Fairy Tales Unit. It was broken into six parts, but goes through the entire story of the Little Mermaid.

My first observation is just how different it is from the Disney movies. Granted, I have heard that a mall ion times- that Disney always "Disneyfies" their stories to always be a happy ending. I would say the end of this story is a sad ending, and it was sad the way the prince called her "my dumb foundling." It just kind of paints a picture of the little mermaid being pathetic and like a little puppy dog. Also, the ending is of course completely different! How she doesn't actually end up with a prince, but she floats into the air to become a "daughter of the air." Just all around different!

Another observation is how descriptive the stories really are. Especially Part 1. The way the undersea kingdom is described makes me want to visit. It is vivid detail and creatively thought up! For instance:
Outside the castle there was a beautiful garden, in which grew bright red and dark blue flowers and blossoms like flames of fire; the fruit glittered like gold, and the leaves and stems waved to and fro continually. The earth itself was the finest sand, but blue as the flame of burning sulphur. Over everything lay a peculiar blue radiance, as if it were surrounded by the air from above, through which the blue sky shone, instead of the dark depths of the sea.
I just can picture the colors and the intertwining creatures! The way that Andersen uses color to truly enhance the imagery makes me want to write the same way. Although... to be of equal stature would take quite a bit of time and some extremely favorable circumstances!


 Image Credit: Disney Blogs

2 comments:

  1. Avery,

    Your analysis of The Little Mermaid is quite interesting. As you mention, Disney does seem to often muddle the original story lines of many tales to make them more "hospitable" for welcoming audiences of children and their families.

    I think it's very good that you used an excerpt from the text to state your point. This reading diary is spot-on in that it effectively reinforces you claims with evidence, and I like that.

    When you say that it is sad that the prince calls The Little Mermaid his "dumb foundling," does this simply mean that she was mute, and that he found her? Or is it really an instance of misogyny? I just wondered that as I read your argument.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is why there are certain original fairy tales that I tend to stay away from, especially those by the Hans Christian Andersen and the Grimm brothers. We grow up with our first exposure to these fairy tales being through Disney films, and of course they're made light and happy. I've never read the Little Mermaid in full, but I know it would leave me sad by the end if I ever did end up reading it. But I'm glad to know there is at least some good in those stories - oftentimes I can forgive a tragic ending if the story itself is written vibrantly and detailed, and I'm glad you were able to find that silver lining in this sorrowful tale.

    ReplyDelete